September 18th, 2013 12:12 am by Vincent Flanders
Submitter’s comments: Not only is the writer a (two pejorative modifiers and one pejorative noun deleted ), but the website uses frames and is borderline unusable on my laptop’s 1366×768 display. That and this website was made EARLIER THIS YEAR! What over-the-top crap.
Vincent Flanders’ comments: It’s nice to see that KidsToday appreciate the past. The 1996 past. I think this website makes more text-related mistakes than any I’ve seen recently. It’s definitely an Over-the-top Website.
There’s a section about “Text and Links” in my soon-to-be-revised article Checklist 1 – 65 Mortal Sins That Will Send Your Site to Web Design Hell. How many text mistakes does today’s sucker make?
- Our site mixes and matches text sizes on the page. (Video)
- Our site mixes text colors on the page. (Also see the video above.)
- Our site’s text requires people to have special (unusual) fonts on their computers to correctly view our text.
- Visitors can’t read our text because it’s too small or it’s difficult to read and comprehend because it’s too large.
- Leading (spacing) is too big / too small.
- There is not enough leading between paragraphs, menu links, and/or lists.
- Our SITE USES LOTS OF WORDS IN ALL-CAPS.
- Our site uses scrolling, blinking, fading, or moving text.
- We use multiple text styles on the same page for no logical reason. We mix and match (choose your combination) flush left, center, flush right and/or justified text.
- The color contrast analyzer (here’s a video showing the color contrast analyzer in action) says there isn’t enough contrast between text/links and background. Here’s a video that discusses contrast.
- There isn’t enough contrast between our page’s text and background.
- Our site uses centered text on more than just headlines.
- We use justified text. Why it’s bad #1 and why it’s bad #2.
- We use browser-specific text tags like <MARQUEE>.
- We use font faces that are not appropriate for our audience — like Comic Sans on a senior citizen site.
- We have too much / too little text on a page.
- We haven’t checked to see if Google Translate (somewhat) accurately translates our text to other languages.
- Our site uses underlined text. (Only links should be underlined.)
- Our site has sideways text/links.
- Visited links don’t change color.
- Our links are not clearly labeled. “Click here” is not enough (NSFW, perhaps)
- Our site has too many links in one area.
- Our site has too many links. (Video)
- Our site has lots of dead links.
- Our site has lots of dead links and/or no 404 pages.
- Our site has lots of complex URLs.
- Our site has links consisting of 10-20 words.
- Our links are not informative.