December 15th, 2011 12:12 am by Vincent Flanders
Submitter’s comments: I count:
- Long, incoherent “splash” (?) page
- Big “SALE” GIFs and a credit card logo stripe, but no indication of what they’re selling
- Four items on the “sitemap” don’t link to anything (Our Show Pictures Our Champions, About Us, Visit Our Chapel Room)
- For no apparent reason, the “family photo” at the top of the sitemap page looks startlingly like a Photoshop construction
- The “Home” page linked to on the sitemap has no text on it whatsoever
- The Home page also has a “Home” link, except this one points back to the sitemap
- Largely unidirectional navigation (nothing links back up the tree)
- Inconsistent page designs
- The “Designs by Bev” image prominently displayed at the bottom of each page sometimes isn’t actually a valid mailto: href (SiteMap), and sometimes causes a popup window
- One confused man from Mars
- Did I mention the sparkling?
The music is catchy, though! And it’s in the WAV format – how considerate of them
Vincent Flanders’ comments: Those of you who thought my initial reaction to this site was “Jesus Christ!” were right. If the flamboyant Liberace were alive today and he looked at this website, he’d scream, “Stop it right now. There’s too much sparkling going on.”
For the life of me, I don’t get the use of the Standard White Jesus everywhere. The Jesus Of This Site is not 5’3″ tall and doesn’t weigh 110 pounds, which is what the archaeological evidence suggests for the real Jesus. I have an iPhone app I call My Personal Black Jesus and he dispenses wisdom each morning, but it’s OK to have Jesus on an iPhone app—and he’s on lots of them—but he doesn’t belong on a site for dogs. Hell, the Mormons don’t have a sparkly Jesus on their home page and they’re a religion. The Baptists don’t have him either. There’s a point here.
For the life of me, I don’t get how these people can look at their site and think, “This design is wonderful.” Go to your favorite search engine and key in “inspirational websites.” I don’t agree with a lot of their choices, but guess what? There isn’t a single inspirational website that looks like this. None.
Oh. I suspect the site is illegally using sound files. I guess they didn’t read my article Why You Can’t Use Music On Your Website.
My favorite page is the Toy Pomeranian Breeder page. If you somehow accidentally ended up on this page, the “Welcome Pombreden’s Adults for Sale” logo might make you think you stumbled upon a human trafficking website.