August 4th, 2011 3:03 am by Vincent Flanders
Submitter’s comments: I was looking at some local businesses sites earlier, and this one made me boggle.
It’s like they went, “Oh, that top line of photos look great!” and just started throwing them around everywhere on top of each other like a vomit of dance photos and photos of low-contrast text. And then I checked the source code, and boggled more.
I know it’s just a small-town dance school, but damn, even the town corn maze has a better page than that.
Vincent Flanders’ comments: There are a lot of interesting problems.
- The home page TITLE tag is “Home.”
- My monitor is 1200 pixels wide and you have to horizontally scroll to see everything because the page is cut off.
- The logo might be professionally made, but it’s white. I can’t really see it that well.
- They’re not a non-profit so they shouldn’t have a mission statement on the home page. The good news is the mission statement is at the bottom and it’s hard to read because the text is white.
- They didn’t look to see what the home page looks like in the Chrome browser. The page is broken, with some sections overlapping others. It’s also broken in Firefox 5.
- Images have non-SEO-friendly names like image3461.jpg.
- They used some Microsoft Office program to generate the HTML.